World’s Fastest 8051 IP Core from Digital Core Design is 29 times fasterApr 2nd, 2015
DQ8051, an extremely-fast 8051 MCU Core, which boasts a Dhrystone 2.1 performance rating of 0.27292 DMIPS/MHz, which therefore enables a 29.01 times speed-up over the original 80C51 chip operating at the same frequency. But the speed is not all, that’s why the DQ8051’s dynamic power consumption can be as low as 1.2µW/MHz. The same, it rivals not only all other 8051-compatible cores but also low-power 32-bit processors.
The 8051, apart from the fact that it was first introduced more than 30 years ago, is believed to be one of the most popular, or even the most popular microcontroller core in history. Many engineers have a lot of expertise with this CPU and there’s a great amount of legacy code and 8051-based tool chains around. But comparison between 8051 from 1981 with e.g. the DQ8051 from 2015 is worth as much as the comparison between first gasoline engine and modern hybrid engines.
– Using our fifteen years of experience on the market, we’ve mastered a great portfolio of 8051 IP Cores – says Piotr Kandora, Vice President at Digital Core Design – if our DT8051 is the World’s smallest 8051, then the DQ8051 is the World’s fastest 8051 for sure. The nearest competition stopped at 26x, with the power consumption almost two times higher than DCD’s.
DCD’s DQ8051 Dhrystone score rates at 29.01x the original at the same frequency, with the size of 7.5k gates. The nearest solution consumes almost 12k gates and achieves not more than 26x speed improvement. But the speed or power consumption is not all – adds Kandora. That’s why the DQ8051 is available with USB, Ethernet, I2C, SPI, UART, CAN, LIN, HDLC, Smart Card interfaces. The core is also equipped with DoCDTM hardware debugger with unique Instruction Smart Trace technology. IST doesn’t capture addresses of all executed instructions, but only these related to the start of tracing, conditional jumps and interrupts. This method not only saves time but also allows improving the size of the IST buffer and extending the trace history. Captured instructions are read back by DoCD-debug software, analyzed and then presented to the user as ASM code and related C lines.
The DQ8051 is delivered with fully automated testbench and complete set of tests, allowing easy package validation at each stage of SoC design flow. This MCU IP Core is technology independent, that’s why it can be used in both ASIC and FPGA technologies.
DQ8051’s movie & presentation: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TKVuxJXa7C0
More information: http://dcd.pl/ipcore/197/dq8051/
- Dec 21st. Badania i rozwój. Zapytania ofertowe
- Dec 2nd. D32PRO, our 32-bit CPU named the Product of the Future
- Oct 17th. DUSB2-ULPI, AN USB 2.0 DEVICE CONTROLLER WITH ULPI INTERFACE
- May 7th. D32PRO, FULLY SCALABLE & ROYALTY-FREE 32-BIT CPU FROM DCD
- Nov 17th. Badania i rozwój. Nieaktualne zapytania ofertowe
- Jun 14th. Success Story: Myson Century: “Outstanding performance” - the core advantage of DCD’s 8051 family
- Apr 10th. Success Story: ASIX: The key to new network solutions.
- Mar 1st. Success Story: Syntronix: Long-term cooperation based on professionalism and trust.
- Jan 3rd. Success Story: TAOS: Support – the key to success.
- Nov 28th. Success Story: Avisonic Chooses DCD’s DP8051 for Image Processors